Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Best Weekend Yet!












This weekend was by far the best weekend I have had yet in Italy! Friday, my roommate Desiree and I took off for the Amalfi Coast. We stayed in Sorrento, which is a small coastal town on the Mediterranean Sea. Sorrento is where Saint Antonio was buried, so I dedicate this weekend to Grandma Tank. Friday night we had an amazing dinner in a small fishermen village where we found a boat builder (the old man in the picture is what I imagine Conor to be like 50 years from now haha kidding.. kind of). The next day, we hopped on a public bus that drove all along the coast and lucked out with an absolutely beautiful day. We stopped in Positano and Amalfi where we wandered around the quiet streets, since tourist season is officially over. We even ran into a man making his own paper in a quiet artisanal shop. Sunday we went to a lemon orchard and tasted some limoncello (not a fan) and then headed off to Pompei (the city that was buried in ash from a volcanic eruption for over 1500 years and was refound in the 1700's). This archeological site was 100% mind blowing. The houses were decorated in mosaic tiles and beautiful paintings that put modern art to shame. I will post more pictures soon, but I am off to a farm in Tuscany for the week with class and then Florence next weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment